Saturday, February 8, 2014

Don't ! Jump !

...A note was on the floor of my office, just inside the door:

“Sam... Forgive me.  I just can’t take it any more. They yanked my favorite themes, and all my friends have left the game. I am going to jump into the river, just above where Hind Leg Cove empties into Big Dog Bay at 10:45.  You know, by that light that hangs between those two posts? Just south of Tired Themes Bridge.  I will be wearing my usual red.  

“--Farewell...

“Anita Hugg”


I sighed.  It was 10:35. 

I opened a fresh bottle of Old Noob.  The date on it was last Thursday.  That was a good batch.  I poured a double, drank it, and then a two ounce chaser, and quickly made a boiler maker.  Now I was ready to go help Anita Hugg with her latest crisis.

The fog had drifted in, as it always does when I get to this part of the plot, and on cue a baratone sax played drunkenly out of the graveyard mists.



She was standing just where she said she would be.   I checked my watch.  It was 10:55.   Sighing, I took another pull from my flask, and walked toward her.

Her head turned just enough that I might appear in her peripheral vision. She raised her arms, leaned back and “prepared” to dive in.  

I grabbed one of those lovely arms, and spun her around, into my arms.

“Oh Sam!!!!” she cried.

She hugged me tight, sobbing controllably, and kissed me hard.  Her hands pulled me close and one of them slowly reached down, and lifted my wallet.


She used to work for Zynga.

No comments:

Post a Comment